Monday, November 17, 2014

"In Service of What?"

To see so many Political figures on board with a need for change is incredible to me,  not to mention the fact that there were Acts put into place to initiate the start of change, but reading this article opened my eyes to the controversy surrounding it. I had never really realized there were two sides to such a positive thing, but thinking about the opposing side to these acts, it really makes me double think my positive thoughts on the matter. "In service of what?" is a great tittle for this article because that is exactly what I am left wondering. I remember applying to college and being told "you should pick up community service hours to reflect positively on your resume", and then when I got accepted into college they said "you need this amount of community service to graduate" that I am now in the process of completing. I had volunteered for many things throughout high school without any incentive though, but simply just to give back. It is difficult for me to choose one side and say there is or isn't change for a couple simple reasons. One, is because forcing someone to complete service learning does not guarantee that change will occur, only that they have fulfilled a class requirement. The second reason is that I believe it just has to do with the person someone is that determines whether or not change is made. For my self, I have always been a very generous, caring person always willing to take the first step in helping someone. The coffee shop I go to has an older gentleman who comes in all the time to warm up with a cup of hot water before he asks for money on the street. Regardless of how or why he is in the situation he is, I noticed this and have since continued to buy him breakfast and a hot beverage. At first he was hesitant in accepting this, but soon became comfortable enough to keep me company. He doesn't say too much, but I think he enjoys the company and care I provide for him which makes me think I have made a change in this man's life, which ultimately changes mine. I do not put this act of kindness on a community service list, or post it on social media, I simply do it because I know I am making a small change in a big world and a big change in his small world. This should be the moral of everyone's service learning, required or not. If this became the case and students really analyzed the reasons behind the reasons of a problem and ways to prevent it such as Ms. Adam's class did, it would be a HUGE first step in making a small change in a big world and yes, you would be a better person for it.


No comments:

Post a Comment